Do you love drinking tea?
Try spearmint, an herbal infusion made from a plant species native to Asia and Europe .
What you’d love about this beverage apart from its unique minty flavor is its wide array of benefits for the health.
According to WebMD, it is used for treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), arthritis, and bacterial infections, among others.
Key Nutrient Facts
A cup of spearmint tea provides essential nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, potassium and magnesium. It has a very small amount of fat, and zero cholesterol.
The list below contains nutritional information based on a 100-gram serving of spearmint tea. The percentage values are for a 2,000 calorie diet.
- Calories 44
- Fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 0
- Sodium 30 mg
- Potassium 458 mg
- Carbohydrates 8 g
- Dietary fiber 7 g
- Protein 3 g
- Vitamin A 81%
- Vitamin B6 10%
- Vitamin C 22%
- Calcium 19%
- Iron 66%
- Magnesium 15%
To find out more about the reasons why you should drink spearmint tea more often, read on.
1. Spearmint Tea Fights Bacterial Infections
Having bacteria inside the body is actually necessary for good health.
According to Japanese researchers, spearmint’s inhibitory effects work on common infectious bacteria like Helicobacter pylori, Salmonella enteritidis, and Escherichia coli .
Its effects are so strong that it can combat even those that are resistant to antibiotics .
The phenolic compounds in spearmint, namely carvone, limonene, muurolene, and myrcene are pointed out responsible for spearmint’s bactericidal activities .
- A balance of good and bad bacteria exists inside the body.
- When there are more bad bacteria than good, infection occurs.
- Spearmint has potent antibacterial properties that can fight even antibiotic-resistant harmful pathogens.
2. Spearmint Tea Has Potent Antioxidant Properties
Free radicals have been linked to numerous serious ailments including arthritis, heart disease, gastric ulcer, Alzheimer’s disease, lupus, and hypertension, among many others .
These by-products of oxidation harm the health by damaging the healthy cells.
One way you can put up a good defense against free radical damage is with antioxidant-rich herbs like spearmint.
Spearmint’s antioxidant activities have been evaluated in various studies, and results show that the same compounds that work in fighting bacteria can also effectively effective neutralize free radicals [7, 8].
Drinking spearmint tea can help prevent the ailments brought about by oxidative stress.
- Fight free radical damage that cause serious health problems by drinking a cup of spearmint tea often.
3. Spearmint Tea Can Prevent and Treat Gastric Ulcer
Also called peptic ulcer, gastric ulcer is an “open sore or raw area in the lining of the stomach or intestine”.
Its most common symptom is abdominal pain.
It’s important to treat this condition immediately to feel better and to be able to go back to your normal routine.
To relieve the pain and discomfort caused by gastric ulcer, drink a cup of spearmint tea.
It was shown in the study results that spearmint has the ability to prevent this bacterial strain from growing and spreading .
Killing the cause of infection can provide immediate relief from pain.
- Gastric ulcer causes many unpleasant symptoms, the most common of which is abdominal pain.
- Feel better by using natural remedies like spearmint tea, which works by controlling the growth and spread of the bacteria causing this condition.
4. Spearmint Tea Has Anti-Androgen Properties that Can Help Women with PCOS
The exact cause of this condition is not known, but what researchers do know is that certain herbal remedies such as spearmint tea can help.
In a 2009 study involving 42 participants, half were asked to take spearmint tea twice daily for one month and the other half were given a placebo .
Spearmint may not be able to resolve PCOS itself but it can alleviate the problematic symptoms that come with this condition.
- Spearmint’s antiandrogen properties can help resolve excessive hair growth, a common symptom of polycystic ovarian syndrome.
5. Spearmint Can Help Tone Down Inflammation
Wikipedia explains that inflammation is actually the body’s “protective response” against harmful substance including bacteria, irritants and damaged cells.
However, since it can bring moderate to severe pain, you would want to tone it down a bit using natural remedies like spearmint tea.
Its primary compounds work by suppressing the activities of pro-inflammatory mediators .
This tea has been found effective for both acute and chronic cases of inflammation .
- Contrary to what some people think, inflammation is not entirely bad, as it is the body’s way of protecting itself against harmful invaders.
- Since it can cause pain and discomfort, it’s understandable to look for relief from inflammation.
- Spearmint tea is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent that can help resolve inflammation-related disorders like asthma, arthritis and colitis, among others.
6. Spearmint Can Help Reduce Fever
A fever is not a disease itself but a sign of infection, as explained in Mayo Clinic
It is the body’s way of protecting itself, as the rise in temperature suppresses the ability of the viruses and other pathogens to replicate and spread.
Apart from resolving the cause of infection, it’s also important to monitor temperature levels as an excessively high temperature can have adverse effects on the body.
Sometimes, it causes convulsions, particularly in children.
In Bangladesh, a study was conducted to probe the antipyretic, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of spearmint, which are all useful for alleviating fever .
Researchers used hot plate test and writhing method to test these properties in mice subjects .
Findings reveal that this herbal remedy can indeed be an efficient way of lowering body temperature, and at the same time, alleviate the discomfort caused by fever .
- Spearmint tea has been found to have antipyretic properties that can reduce body temperature and bring relief.
- It also possesses anti-inflammatory and analgesic qualities that are also useful for fever.
7. Spearmint Tea Can Provide Pain Relief
Are you in constant pain?
Chronic pain in any part of the body can signal an underlying medical condition, and should be brought to the attention of your physician.
Now, if you only suffer from minor pains and aches, you can get quick relief from natural remedies such as spearmint tea.
Research has shown that spearmint tea has analgesic effects on the body .
Since it is also a potent anti-inflammatory, it can also tone down inflammation, which is also known to cause pain.
Drinking spearmint tea is a quick and efficient way to soothe body aches and pains that can affect your daily routine.
- With its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, spearmint tea is a natural way of getting quick relief from minor aches and pains.
8. Spearmint Tea is a Good Remedy for Morning Sickness
Pregnancy is no walk in the park.
Not only do pregnant women constantly worry about the welfare of their unborn baby, they also suffer from unpleasant symptoms.
Morning sickness refers to nausea and vomiting that commonly occur during the first months of pregnancy .
Despite its name, it can take place at anytime during the day.
To feel better, slowly sip some spearmint tea.
There’s no need to worry about side effects, as it has been proven safe to be taken during pregnancy.
To be absolutely sure, it’s a good idea to consult your doctor first.
- Pregnant women don’t have to suffer from morning sickness all the time when they make use of spearmint tea as remedy.
- It’s not only highly effective in alleviating nausea and vomiting, it is also safe and does not produce harmful side effects to the mother and her baby.
9. Spearmint Tea Can Reduce Severity of COPD
It is a serious respiratory disease that can cause complications, and should therefore be treated immediately.
A good way to alleviate COPD and its symptoms is with spearmint.
A Chinese study conducted in 2008 stated that spearmint has significant protective effects on the lungs, warding off damage and injury caused by COPD .
Results show that it can reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the lungs .
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a serious progressive respiratory disease that should be treated right away.
- Spearmint tea is a good remedy for this problem, minimizing damage and injury in the lungs.
10. Spearmint Tea Can Inhibit Fungal Infections
There are various kinds of fungal infections that can affect you on any given day.
Common fungal infections include ringworm, athlete’s foot, jock itch and yeast infections .
You’re more likely to succumb to a fungal infection if you have a weak immune system .
Fortunately, these are usually minor problems that go away on their own after a few days or weeks.
If you’d like to get rid of any of these infections more quickly, it would help to make use of natural solutions like spearmint tea.
Spearmint works against fungi by strengthening your immune system with its numerous essential nutrients.
- Fungal infections are not cause for alarm.
- If you’d like to resolve this type of infection, you can use spearmint as it has proven antifungal effects that thwart off the growth and spread of fungi.
11. Spearmint Tea is a Natural Antihistamine
Having a hypersensitive immune system can be a problem.
You’ll find yourself sneezing, itching or swelling all the time.
What you can do to tone down your body’s allergic reactions to substances that are not harmful is to drink a cup of spearmint tea.
As a result, you will experience less allergic reactions to common irritants and allergens.
- A natural antihistamine, spearmint tea can help relieve you from allergic reactions like sneezing, skin itching, inflammation and so on.
12. Spearmint Tea Can Relieve Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Don’t let severe abdominal pain and other symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome take a toll on your life.
Although there is no cure for IBS, there are things you can do to cope with this condition .
Drinking spearmint tea is one of them.
In a clinical trial with 79 participants, it was shown that those who used mint experienced significant reduction in abdominal pain, flatulence and stool frequency .
- Irritable bowel syndrome causes severe pain and other distressing symptoms.
- While there’s no cure for this condition, drinking spearmint tea can ease symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating and diarrhea.
With its long list of benefits, you’d surely want to include spearmint tea in your daily diet.
Not only does it prevent many ailments, it can also supply the body with essential nutrients that are necessary for good health.