Tea is a refreshing drink filled with great amount of nutrients and antioxidants. Unsurprisingly, its use dates back to thousands of years. In this article you will learn spearmint tea benefits for your overall good health.
Who doesn’t love drinking tea?
Drinking tea is a popular morning ritual that kick starts the day for millions of people around the world.
You may already know that there many ways to brew tea. Many people like it with milk, others like it with herbal ingredients.
One of the healthiest and popular ingredients to add to tea is spearmint leaves. There are exceptional health benefits of spearmint tea.
Spearmint plant species are native to Asia and Europe .
What you’d love about this herbal beverage apart from its unique minty flavor is its wide array of benefits for the health. Spearmint tea is an amazing drink that will promote your health for the better in so many ways!
Key Nutrient Facts
The list below contains nutritional information based on a 100-gram serving of spearmint tea. The percentage values are for a 2,000 calorie diet.
- Calories 44
- Fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 0
- Sodium 30 mg
- Potassium 458 mg
- Carbohydrates 8 g
- Dietary fiber 7 g
- Protein 3 g
- Vitamin A 81%
- Vitamin B6 10%
- Vitamin C 22%
- Calcium 19%
- Iron 66%
- Magnesium 15%
To find out more about the reasons why you should drink spearmint tea more often, read on.
In the following article, we will look at:
- 19 Health benefits of spearmint tea
- Some questions and answers
19 Health Benefits of Spearmint Tea
1. Spearmint Tea Fights Bacterial Infections
Having bacteria inside the body is actually necessary for good health.
Its effects are so strong that it can combat even those that are resistant to antibiotics .
The phenolic compounds in spearmint, namely carvone, limonene, muurolene, and myrcene are pointed out responsible for spearmint’s bactericidal activities .
- A balance of good and bad bacteria exists inside the body.
- When there are more bad bacteria than good, infection occurs.
- Spearmint has potent antibacterial properties that can fight even antibiotic-resistant harmful pathogens.
2. Spearmint Tea Has Potent Antioxidant Properties
These by-products of oxidation harm the health by damaging the healthy cells.
One way you can put up a good defense against free radical damage is with antioxidant-rich herbs like spearmint.
Spearmint’s antioxidant activities have been evaluated in various studies, and results show that the same compounds that work in fighting bacteria can also effectively effective neutralize free radicals [7, 8].
Drinking spearmint tea can help prevent the ailments brought about by oxidative stress.
- Fight free radical damage that causes serious health problems by drinking a cup of spearmint tea often.
3. Spearmint Tea Can Prevent and Treat Gastric Ulcer
Also called peptic ulcer, the gastric ulcer is an “open sore or raw area in the lining of the stomach or intestine”.
Its most common symptom is abdominal pain.
It’s important to treat this condition immediately to feel better and to be able to go back to your normal routine.
To relieve the pain and discomfort caused by a gastric ulcer, drink a cup of spearmint tea.
It was shown in the study results that spearmint has the ability to prevent this bacterial strain from growing and spreading .
Killing the cause of infection can provide immediate relief from pain.
- Gastric ulcer causes many unpleasant symptoms, the most common of which is abdominal pain.
- Feel better by using natural remedies like spearmint tea, which works by controlling the growth and spread of the bacteria causing this condition.
4. Spearmint Tea Has Anti-Androgen Properties that Can Help Women with PCOS
The exact cause of this condition is not known, but what researchers do know is that certain herbal remedies such as spearmint tea can help.
In a 2009 study involving 42 participants, half were asked to take spearmint tea twice daily for one month and the other half were given a placebo .
Spearmint may not be able to resolve PCOS itself but it can alleviate the problematic symptoms that come with this condition.
- Spearmint’s antiandrogen properties can help resolve excessive hair growth, a common symptom of a polycystic ovarian syndrome.
5. Spearmint Can Help Tone Down Inflammation
Wikipedia explains that inflammation is actually the body’s “protective response” against harmful substance including bacteria, irritants, and damaged cells.
However, since it can bring moderate to severe pain, you would want to tone it down a bit using natural remedies like spearmint tea.
Its primary compounds work by suppressing the activities of pro-inflammatory mediators .
This tea has been found effective for both acute and chronic cases of inflammation .
- Contrary to what some people think, inflammation is not entirely bad, as it is the body’s way of protecting itself against harmful invaders.
- Since it can cause pain and discomfort, it’s understandable to look for relief from inflammation.
- Spearmint tea is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent that can help resolve inflammation-related disorders like asthma, arthritis, and colitis, among others.
6. Spearmint Can Help Reduce Fever
It is the body’s way of protecting itself, as the rise in temperature suppresses the ability of the viruses and other pathogens to replicate and spread.
Apart from resolving the cause of infection, it’s also important to monitor temperature levels as an excessively high temperature can have adverse effects on the body.
Sometimes, it causes convulsions, particularly in children.
In Bangladesh, a study was conducted to probe the antipyretic, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of spearmint, which are all useful for alleviating fever .
Researchers used hot plate test and writing method to test these properties in mice subjects .
Findings reveal that this herbal remedy can indeed be an efficient way of lowering body temperature, and at the same time, alleviate the discomfort caused by fever .
- Spearmint tea has been found to have antipyretic properties that can reduce body temperature and bring relief.
- It also possesses anti-inflammatory and analgesic qualities that are also useful for fever.
7. Spearmint Tea Can Provide Pain Relief
Are you in constant pain?
Chronic pain in any part of the body can signal an underlying medical condition and should be brought to the attention of your physician.
Now, if you only suffer from minor pains and aches, you can get quick relief from natural remedies such as spearmint tea.
Research has shown that spearmint tea has analgesic effects on the body .
Since it is also a potent anti-inflammatory, it can also tone down inflammation, which is also known to cause pain.
Drinking spearmint tea is a quick and efficient way to soothe body aches and pains that can affect your daily routine.
- With its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, spearmint tea is a natural way of getting quick relief from minor aches and pains.
8. Spearmint Tea is a Good Remedy for Morning Sickness
Pregnancy is no walk in the park.
Not only do pregnant women constantly worry about the welfare of their unborn baby, they also suffer from unpleasant symptoms.
Despite its name, it can take place at any time during the day.
To feel better, slowly sip some spearmint tea.
There’s no need to worry about side effects, as it has been proven safe to be taken during pregnancy.
To be absolutely sure, it’s a good idea to consult your doctor first.
- Pregnant women don’t have to suffer from morning sickness all the time when they make use of spearmint tea as a remedy.
- It’s not only highly effective in alleviating nausea and vomiting, it is also safe and does not produce harmful side effects to the mother and her baby.
ALSO READ: 11+ Remedies to Get Rid of Morning Sickness
9. Spearmint Tea Can Reduce Severity of COPD
It is a serious respiratory disease that can cause complications, and should, therefore, be treated immediately.
A good way to alleviate COPD and its symptoms are with spearmint.
A Chinese study conducted in 2008 stated that spearmint has significant protective effects on the lungs, warding off damage and injury caused by COPD .
Results show that it can reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the lungs .
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a serious progressive respiratory disease that should be treated right away.
- Spearmint tea is a good remedy for this problem, minimizing damage and injury in the lungs.
10. Spearmint Tea Can Inhibit Fungal Infections
There are various kinds of fungal infections that can affect you on any given day.
You’re more likely to succumb to a fungal infection if you have a weak immune system .
Fortunately, these are usually minor problems that go away on their own after a few days or weeks.
If you’d like to get rid of any of these infections more quickly, it would help to make use of natural solutions like spearmint tea.
Spearmint works against fungi by strengthening your immune system with its numerous essential nutrients.
- Fungal infections are not a cause for alarm.
- If you’d like to resolve this type of infection, you can use spearmint as it has proven antifungal effects that thwart off the growth and spread of fungi.
11. Spearmint Tea is a Natural Antihistamine
Having a hypersensitive immune system can be a problem.
You’ll find yourself sneezing, itching or swelling all the time.
What you can do to tone down your body’s allergic reactions to substances that are not harmful is to drink a cup of spearmint tea.
As a result, you will experience less allergic reactions to common irritants and allergens.
- A natural antihistamine, spearmint tea can help relieve you from allergic reactions like sneezing, skin itching, inflammation and so on.
12. Spearmint Tea Can Relieve Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Don’t let severe abdominal pain and other symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome take a toll on your life.
Drinking spearmint tea is one of them.
- Irritable bowel syndrome causes severe pain and other distressing symptoms.
- While there’s no cure for this condition, drinking spearmint tea can ease symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating and diarrhea.
13. Spearmint Tea Boosts Immune System
A cup of spearmint tea contains essential nutrients, vitamins A and C, thiamin, folates, riboflavin, pyridoxine, phenols, flavonoid, and antibacterial, antioxidant properties. 
The Food Chemistry journal states that, spearmint tea has “excellent antioxidant activity.” Along with its sweet menthol flavor the herbal tea has cineol, limonene, and dihydrocarvone antioxidants.
These important components help you keep off the free radicals and opportunist viral or bacterial infections. 
Thus, spearmint tea can be a very efficient immune booster to keep all sorts of infections at bay.
- 1.With its high antioxidant value spearmint tea can boost your immune defense against infectious diseases.
14. Spearmint Tea can Balance Hormone Levels
Hormones are chemicals that are part of body’s endocrine system. They act as messengers originating from the endocrine and then travelling through blood stream to different tissues and organs of the body.
Hormones are responsible for controlling a wide spectrum of activities inside our body. Hormonal interactions define our metabolism, energy cycle, appearance, mood, etc. Hence, it is very important that there should be healthy balance in the regulations of these body hormones.
The potent organic components in the spearmint tea has positive effects in regulating and balancing hormones. One of the proven facts is the herbal tea’s ability in lowering excessive male hormone or testosterone in women. 
An excess of male androgen hormones may lead to hirsutism in females. Thus women experience the awkward appearance of hair on the face, stomach and breasts. Consuming spearmint tea can be an effective solution for the women who are victims of hirsutism in balancing androgen hormones. 
- The bioactive compounds of spearmint tea can balance body hormones and help prevent hirsutism in women.
15. Spearmint Tea Improves Memory
One of the fascinating health benefits of spearmint tea is its ability to improve memory.
Several studies have confirmed that the antioxidant in spearmint tea such as limonene can counter the free radicals and help improving neurotransmitter or cognitive activities.
Prof. Susan Farr conducted a study on the positive cognitive impacts of spearmint tea at Saint Louis University School of Medicine. 
The study suggests that the antioxidants in spearmint and rosemary are superb when it comes to cognitive tasks, enhancing memory and learning. These two herbal extracts can be beneficial in curbing age-related memory decline as well. 
- Spearmint tea has potent antioxidants that can help enhance memory, concentration and focus.
16. Spearmint Tea Promotes Heart Health
Spearmint tea is a natural source of iron and potassium. The iron content in the herbal tea has a positive effect in blood production and circulation system.
Whereas the high level of potassium in spearmint can control blood pressure. Moreover, spearmint acts as a vasodilator and stress reliever in the arteries and blood vessels. 
It regulates and controls a natural flow of blood through the vessels and arteries. Thus, spearmint tea can help prevent a number of heart diseases such as strokes, heart attacks, atherosclerosis, etc. 
- Spearmint has a high level of potassium that can check your blood pressure.
- Spearmint regulates free blood flow in the blood vessels and arteries to prevent many heart problems.
17. Relieves Stress and Depression
Are you stressed? May be your work loads, familial responsibilities or a relational issue are burning out all your energy. Stress is the new smoking because it kills you slowly like the latter. So it’s important for you to live a stress free life.
The simple act of enjoying a cup of spearmint tea can help you de-stress. A study conducted by University College, London; proved that, spearmint tea can actually work on stress hormones and relax you. (31)
The sedative and anti-depressant qualities of spearmint herb can clam your nervous system and relax your mind.
- Spearmint decoction or tea contains antidepressant and sedative properties.
- Spearmint tea can soothe your nervous and hormonal system to distress.
18. Promotes Oral Health
The antibacterial properties in spearmint tea can keep dental infections such as staphylococcus in check (32).
Polyphenols and mint flavor in spearmint tea can give a refreshing feel to your mouth.
19. Boosts Energy Levels and Improves Mental Alertness
Being mentally alert is to be truly alive. Just think for a while how much you missed in life due to lack of focus. Mental alertness is the per-requisite for a productive life.
The amino acid L-theanine in spearmint tea has effects on modulating brain waves. It can give you prolonged attention and focus in a work. That’s why tea breaks between long sessions of work or lecture always help you refocus. (33)
The iron content in spearmint tea takes part in red blood cells production in the body. Hence, spearmint tea can energize you and lift you up even after a long hectic day.
- Spearmint tea contains essential minerals that contribute in red blood cells production and modulating neuron functions. Thus spearmint tea can remove the fatigue of a physically draining day and enhance mental alertness.
Some Q&A About Tea
Q. Many people suggest drinking tea with honey. Should I do it?
A. Honey is a great source of nutrition. It is filled with anti-inflammatory and antioxidants. Tea brewers suggest that unprocessed honey, which contains most of the anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant agents should be added to tea. Honey and tea together make it a really soothing drink. Even so, spearmint tea with honey can be a great option to drink!
Q. Is it good to drink spearmint tea after steeping?
A. To be honest, it is always best to drink tea on the same day it is brewed. However, if you plan to keep it longer then you should refrigerate it. In the case of spearmint tea, it is best to freshly brew and drink it. Don’t steep it, please!
Q. Is there any specific time when I should drink tea?
A. There is not a specific time to drink tea. However, you should always drink tea between meals. Always avoid drinking before going to bed or just when you had a meal. It is because the caffeine in tea will keep you awake if you drink it before bed. Plus, drinking tea after a meal might cause stomach problems.
Q. What is the difference between natural and artificially flavored tea?
A. The difference between natural and artificial flavoring lies in the fact that natural flavor comes from natural sources. While artificial flavoring is created using a carefully balanced chemical composition.
Spearmint tea brewed at home can be both natural and artificial. If you choose to brew the tea with spearmint leaves, then it is going to be the best choice to drink.
Q. Should I use an organic tea when brewing my spearmint tea brew?
A. Organic tea is always the best option as no harmful chemicals are used when growing it. So, if you want to brew the healthy spearmint tea for best health benefits, then choose an organic variant!
With this long list of spearmint tea benefits, you’d surely want to include spearmint tea in your daily diet.
Not only does it prevent many ailments, it can also supply the body with essential nutrients that are necessary for good health.
We really hope this article came to your help; if you have any questions or confusions regarding it feel free to ask us.
Also, don’t forget to share your experience with us by leaving your comments below.